What in the world is Going On?
Elements of an Emotionally Charged Dialogue:
· People think differently
· What is being talked matters a lot to at least one person
· At least one person is feeling very emotional
· The outcome of the conversation really matters
· Say nothing and suffer in silence
· Speak up and make poor decisions
· Have a skillful conversation
· Each person trusts the conversation as a place to fully share
· The basis is common ground
· The conversation has an agreed upon goal, decision or outcome
· Progress is progress and that’s a good thing
Is this a good time to have this conversation?
o Hungry? Angry? Tired?
o Personal needs met?
Is this a good physical place to have a conversation:
o Free of interruptions from others
o Free of interruptions for electronics/distractions
o Neutral and judgment free
o Start as small as you need to for forward movement
o Progress can look like mutual acknowledgment that you are on the opposite end of a conversation and that everyone is stuck and frustrated
o Is there common ground or some area of agreement where the conversation can begin
Is there end point that we can agree on?
o Mutual acknowledgment